Aviation is one of the most exciting industries on the planet!
It certainly can be challenging keeping up with the changing needs of airports, airlines and passengers. However, we find the industry and its suppliers open to innovative solutions and ideas from start-ups seeking to enhance passenger experience and increase customer value and revenue. From airport mapping to luggage check-in, we take a look at three exciting start-ups changing the airport experience for passengers and improving the bottom line for airports and airlines.
Hate the hassle of getting your luggage to the airport then queueing to check-in? If you live in, or are travelling out of London on BA, then you’re in luck! Founded in 2016, Airportr acts as your personal porter, handling your luggage so you don’t have to. For a small fee Airportr will pick up your luggage and securely deliver it to the airport and check it in, allowing passengers to save time and hassle getting to the airport luggage free.
Using a simple and intuitive online booking system, passengers are able to book their luggage in with Airportr and change passenger details up to two hours before, free of charge.
- Makes getting to the airport easier for passengers with lots of luggage
- Check-in queues are shorter allowing passengers more time to spend in the departures areas
- Luggage is sealed with real-time bag tracking GPS allowing passengers to see where their luggage is at all times
Based at one of the biggest aviation hubs in the world, Schiphol, Undagrid provides innovative software solutions to the aviation industry. Based on assets and the Internet of Things, they work with the aviation sector to optimise processes and improve workflows; both of which airports have a lot of! Tracking motorised and non-motorised assets such as baggage carts and trailers have led to a simple autonomous solution for airports such as Frankfurt and Paris-Charles de Gaulle.
- Improved knowledge of the location of assets through GPS tracking and data
- Opportunity to improve the user experience by making sure the right equipment is in the right place at the right time
- Time and resources spent re-locating assets is minimised due to GPS tracker on each asset.
Recently awarded as one of the Best Mobile Travel Solution at Eye, FLIO offers a one-stop for all your airport needs. Featuring over 1500 airports, the app offers a range of services and tools including airport maps, offers from food and product retailers and free wi-fi (not all services are available at all airports) with the aim of making the passenger experience more enjoyable.
- The all-in-one airport app saving users from downloading multiple apps when travelling
- Real-time flight information within the app
- Airport maps allowing passengers to navigate easily around large airports
So next time you’re about to go off on business or on holiday, make what can be a stressful airport experience a little easier by having your bags collected from your front door and a map of your departure and arrival airports to hand. Take a look at what’s going on outside too, maybe what you’re seeing is part of an exciting new solution to asset management!